Sunday, February 8, 2009

X: i've got straight edge

My life is marked by the letter X. The letter X is intense. It helps to fulfill my life; it is a personal decision. X stands for freedom. X stands for pride. X stands for straight edge.

Being straight edge means living above the temptations of alcohol, smoking, and drug use. But take a step back, the straight edge lifestyle isn’t about following rules. It’s living on the edge in an alternative way. The straight edge lifestyle goes against the precedents which so much of the youth society sets. While high school and college students who are underage may crave the idea of engaging in the unknown and fighting authority, drinking and drug use are not constructive experiences or effective rebellions.

I personally live straight edge not because I embrace authority, but because I understand that these actions fail to undermine such powers and in fact give authorities more reasons to constrain the youth, to look down upon the youth. It fuels the idea that the young generations are incapable and immature. By marking oneself as straight edge, one is free to express his or herself in new ways and share in more creative outlets.

An underground development, straight edge encompasses an ideal. While straight edge has been followed by teens of different scenes and backgrounds, it was the early hardcore punk movement in the US that started the lifestyle. Minor Threat, a hardcore band of the 80’s, was one of the most influential bands participating in the straight edge movement. Their 46 second song “Straight Edge” highlights the point of this way of life.

“I’ve got the straight edge/I’m a person just like you/But I’ve got better things to do/Than sit around and smoke dope/’Cause I know I can cope.”

But, condemning the mislead decisions of peers is not the end goal. Straight edge remains a personal choice.

We often treat drinking at college or experimenting before our lives “pass us by” as a part of the inevitable. Yet, it is just a simple decision to live life to a higher standard. It only takes one letter to crossover onto this edge.

X is a part of me. X helps to form my identity without robbing me of my individuality. By choosing X, I am liberated from any gray areas in decisions. Straight edge is an answer for all the non-conformists.

"Straight Edge" by Minor Threat

I'm a person just like you
But I've got better things to do
Than sit around and fuck my head
Hang out with the living dead
Snort white shit up my nose
Pass out at the shows
I don't even think about speed
That's something I just don't need

I'VE GOT STRAIGHT EDGE

I'm a person just like you
But I've got better things to do
Than sit around and smoke dope
'Cause I know I can cope
Laugh at the thought of eating ludes
Laugh at the thought of sniffing glue
Always gonna keep in touch
Never want to use a crutch

I'VE GOT STRAIGHT EDGE

4 comments:

  1. good point: "these actions fail to undermine such powers "

    Five iron frenzy wrote a song condemning straight edge as being too legalistic. i'm not sure what i think of the lyrics, but the song is catchy... i think you are living in a way that transcends the "rules..."

    also to think about, for those who choose counter-cultural lifestyles ("what? you don't have a tv?")

    how do we go about doing what we do and spreading the word that it's a good thing, without alienating those we are condemning by our actions? people didn't like st. francis, and i bet part of it had to do with the fact that he was living the gospel better than they were, and they knew it.

    so, how do you live a better life than your peers, and yet not act so as to drive away those whom you want to join you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It seems contradictory to call straight edge "an answer for all nonconformists," since by choosing to identify with X, nonconformists conform to being straight edge. I'm certainly not saying that abstaining from drugs and alcohol is bad, but creating an identifier for those who choose not to indulge in them just creates another division in youth society.

    ReplyDelete