Wednesday, February 4, 2009

SFL shoutout

Few can declare that college campus flyering has had any serious effect on one’s life. In fact, it is widely accepted that flyering tedious and dull. However, I can honestly claim that flyering for Student For Life has challenged me to grow, encouraged me to live my beliefs without shame, and helped me cling to reason above fear of rejection.

“Flyering” is the act of posting advertisements (in the form of flyers) around the school. It is a task born out of necessity for clubs campus-wide.

When I decided to join SFL, I didn’t put too much thought into the decision. I was a freshman and it seemed like a natural progression from my participation in the pro-life movement throughout high school. When I came to college I didn’t understand that meeting new people also meant opening myself to vulnerability. Friendships were no longer based on history or shared upbringings. I left a world where my community knew about and accepted my dedication to being pro-life and entered college, where these beliefs seemed to separate me from my peers, giving me one more insecurity.

My extraverted pro-life beliefs began to fade somewhat; they were just something I identified myself with at SFL meetings or inside my own head.

Then, I began flyering for SFL by myself. I would be sweating and nervous, making eye contact with just the laces of my shoes as I blindly stapled SFL handouts on public posting sites. Slowly the flyering process led me to be more confident. There was something so powerful about identifying myself with the flyers. To me, it became both a public statement and an internal reminder that beliefs aren’t about approval.

Being pro-life isn’t a label I tack onto the bulletin board of my identity. My pro-life beliefs are so much more than that, and only the opportunities SFL has provided me with could have helped me rediscover this last semester.




Thanks helena and james and your parents, logan and eric, for all you are giving to this world.





"I feel that the greatest destroyer of peace today is abortion, because it is a war against the child, a direct killing of the innocent child, murder by the mother herself." 

-Mother Teresa

1 comment:

  1. "They were just something I identified myself ...inside my own head."
    Liz,
    I feel like acting, not sitting, on our beliefs is one of the hardest yet noble challenges we can find in life. Keep it up. Please, always remember that and remind others of that.

    ReplyDelete