Friday, April 30, 2010

5 reasons why my 4 days in portugal were the best of my spring break

Besides the fact that I got sick in Sevilla, so obviously Spain couldn’t be first, and I was only in two different countries for spring break, Portugal was not just a default winner. It earned its position. (Note, I promise I am in love with Spain. See my post on La Sagrada Família if you don’t believe me, but sometimes you just have to pick favorites). Regardless, here is why Portugal took the cake:

1. St. Anthony is Portuguese. For the record: he may be St. Anthony of Padua to most, but he is not Italian and is equally St. Anthony of Lisboa. In Lisbon, there is a Church built atop his home, which we visited. After St. Anthony helped me find my John Paul II crucifix here in Rome, visiting his hometown was an extraordinary highlight of my time abroad and another amazing St. Anthony experience. His feast day is the day before my birthday, and at some point I would love to go to Lisbon one June to celebrate.
I love St. Anthony of Lisboa! Posing by San Antonio,
the Church built over the Saint's home in Lisbon.

2. The pastel de nata is a famous pastry of Portugal and possibly the most delicious pastry I have consumed in my lifetime. We devoured ours in Belém at Pastéis de Belém, a pastry shop that has been open since 1837. The recipe for the pastel de nata, or pastel de Belém as it is called there, comes from the Heironymite Monastery, and “follow[s] the ancient 'secret recipe' from the monastery. Passed on and known exclusively to the master confectioners who hand-crafted the pastries in the 'secrets room', this recipe remain[s] unchanged to the present day,” according to the pastry shop’s website. Besides housing this wonderful food, Belém is as historically important as it is beautiful. Even so, if you don’t make it to Belém when you’re in Portugal (though you ought to), at least eat the pastel de nata somewhere else.

Paul holds up a pastel de nata as I drink my cappuccino
in Pastéis de Belém (above). And, (below), the whole
gang enjoying every minute in Belém.

3. Fatima, the Marian apparition sight, (second in fame only to Lourdes), is in Portugal. And, it is an easy daytrip from Lisbon, where we stayed. To be in the place where Mary appeared to Lucia, Jacinta and Francisco was such a blessing. Even though, as a Catholic, I am not required to believe the Fatima story, I do trust in it fully, trying to follow the teachings of many holy people that have come before. John Paul II said “I've been on a pilgrimage to Fatima as most of you, dear pilgrims, with the rosary in my hand, Mary's name on my lips and the song of God's mercy in my heart." You may not know (as I didn’t until recently,) it was during these apparitions that Mary revealed, among other things, the “O my Jesus” prayer, which many say at the end of each decade of the Rosary. Essentially, being in Fatima inspired in me a greater devotion to the Rosary—what more could I have asked for?

The Basilica of the Rosary in Fatima contains the bodies of the children
to whom Mary appeared and is right next to the spot where Mary appeared.

4. Sintra is in Portugal. Castles. Palaces. Nature. Estates. Gardens. Cory and Paul made fun of the fact that every eight minutes I was wowed by the views and kept calling everything my “favorite,” and Paul tried to get me to go without saying “guys, this is REALLY cool,” every other sentence. That failed miserably, which gave Cory a big kick. But, in Portugal, I felt like I could be a princess, and there is nothing wrong with that.

Inside the Moorish Castel in Sintra is like a magical land.

5. Cabo da Roca, the most western part of Europe happens to be in (guess) Portugal! “Here, where the land ends and the sea begins...” claims the monument there. Standing at the edge of cliffs that drop 140 meters before where the water is then crashing around is terrifyingly powerful. The wind was strong on the coast and it was rather chilly. I was closer to the East Coast than I have been since mid-January, and that tugged at my heartstrings more than a little. Looking west, towards home, I literally felt my heart pulled in that direction. Cory and I joked about just swimming all the way to school. The vastness of the world along with the creativity of our Creator is made very apparent here.

The wind (above) is so strong at Cabo da Roca, the most western part of Europe, but the sky was beautiful as we watched sunset begin.
And (below), Cory spots America!

Paul throws my backpack off the 140 meter cliff. Awesome.

Obrigada, Portugal. I cannot wait to visit this land again.

2 comments:

  1. Love this! Wish I could have shared these experiences with you, chica! Great pictures :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woah! What??? Your life! Dude, America just seems so...normal in comparison. Please come back to it, though! Or make room for me to come and move in with you!

    ReplyDelete