Friday, February 12, 2010

i see snow

Lately, the thoughts occupying most of my brain space all relate to the intense snowfalls back home. For the last week, I’ve been constantly complaining about how badly I wish to be in Virginia for the snow. I mean, over 30 inches, how incredible! Catherine and I kept flipping though Facebook photos of all the wintery fun everybody seems to be having; that certainly didn’t help our negative-Nancy attitudes.

However, to my biggest delight, I woke up this morning to snow in Rome! This is no joke. There were huge, white flakes outside my window. I happily watched the snow all morning while on the bus and in class. I didn’t get to be outside for much of it, but I’ll take what I can get.
Above, snow falls as I walked to the bus stop this morning. This was the first substantial snow in Rome in over 20 years. Below, a nun heads towards St. Peter's in an AP photo from from guardian.uk.co (click here for more professional photos of the Roman snowfall).

Catherine’s 20th birthday is also today! Happy birthday, honey; I’m pretty sure this was God’s gift to you. He knew of our homesick moods and helped lift our spirits ever so subtly.

After all, the last time it even snowed in Rome was in 2005. But really, today’s snow was the biggest in over 20 years, since 1986. Honestly, today’s was baby snow. I can’t really imagine how minor the 2005 snow was. Nevertheless, IT SNOWED IN ROME TODAY, and I am fully satisfied with this fact. And, since God granted me this small blessing, for the next three months I’ll take Rome’s wonder over any Fairfax blizzard. To quote Relient K, “never underestimate my Jesus.” He saved the world already, and with the help of His Father, gives us plenty of little joys, we just have to be looking in the right place.
Above, the snow-covered Lemon Tree
Courtyard at John Cabot. Today Rome
became a mini winter wonderland.
For all those at home, I hope you are enjoying the crazy weather. Please, make a snow angel for me.

Left, snow was actually accumulating in Rome and stuck to cars, trees, buildings, or here, Vespas. It was a sweet birthday surprise for Catherine to wake up to. While I was stuck at class, she was lucky enough to have a snowball fight on the way to the grocery store.

No comments:

Post a Comment