Saturday, May 22, 2010

i owe it all to strangers

I’ve just carried well over half my weight in luggage across Europe. This is not a joke; I weighed my luggage at the airport: 42 kilograms in total (for the non-European-minded, that is more than 92 pounds). Not including my purse, with which I smuggled in quite a lot of weight. The baggage itinerary looked as follows—Roma to Lucca, changing trains in Pisa; Lucca to Milan, once again changing trains in Pisa; Milan to London by plane; London to Exeter, changing trains in Reading. Exeter to London, changing trains within the city once to arrive closer to the hotel. GAH!

Lucca, my first post-Roma stop, was beautiful. But, I needed a lot of help
getting there with all my stuff from studying abroad for four months.

Thank goodness for easyJet’s no carry-on luggage weight limit, because I definitely utilized it—my carry-on bag weighed 15 kilograms, excluding my giant purse which I had to zip inside of it because of their only-one-carry-on-bag rule. Essentially, I stuck everything heavy I could manage into that duffle and the “light” stuff went to the checked bag. But, that bag was still wildly overweight, and there is a steep charge for every kilo you’re over. Yet, the woman must have felt bad for me, because she didn’t charge me, “oh, it’s okay this time,” she said.

Now, though I traveled alone, a complete packrat fool to all passersby, I did not, because I could not, take my luggage around alone. I was rather dependent on other people. Not just did I enjoy the help of others but also literally relied on their good spirits.

We’re not as independent as we think. And, being independent isn’t as great as it sounds. Relying on others is humbling and allows us to connect with the rest of our human family. Reflecting on this whole luggage and travel experience, I’m reminded of a quote from the Thomas Dubay book I am reading. He says, “who can count the sufferings and sacrifices and smiles of our parents, brothers and sisters, friends and, often enough, mere acquaintances, and at times complete strangers?” Each illustrates human beauty and without such, I wouldn’t have made it through this journey.

So, to:

the Portuguese woman in Lucca who helped me carry my bags through the pedestrian subway,
the girl who pointed out the lift at the Pisa station,
the countless people carrying my bags up the narrow TrenItalia steps,
the man who lifted my bag over suitcases and baby strollers on the way to Milan when I got on the wrong coach and had to walk the length of the train to find my seat,
the guy who let me exit the train before him in England, allowing me to more easily pull my bag out,
Katie, who heroically carried my heavy duffle all the way from her flat to the station without complaint,
the concierge who took my bags off my hands in my London hotel,
and my Dad who is now helping me carry everything around as we finish our travels,

thank you!

3 comments:

  1. This is so sweet of you to thank all of those people. Most people would forget about them. You are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i really like this post liz!

    ReplyDelete
  3. dylan, margaret - hope you are both well and thanks!

    ReplyDelete